March 8 is International Women’s Day! This year it falls on a Sunday, my absolute favourite day of the week. Typically, Sundays are saved for quiet reflection and catching up on personal matters; like ‘Sunday check-in’ with my Mom, making plans to see my friends that coming week, then weekly prediction and eventually, relaxation. This week however, I will also be sending out some special shout outs to my fav ladies!
- My Momma – she loves me when I don’t even like myself. She thinks I’m brave. I got my smile from her and we pose for photos the same way, which is a blessing and a curse.
- My BFF for Realsies Forever – I have the distinct pleasure to live with her. She is tough, motivational and skilled at living a fulfilling life. She is a charmer, puts everyone at ease and her ability to have fun is only outmatched by her enthusiam for new experiences. She’s my guiding light in my new endeavours and the supportive kick in the arse I need.
- My Momma friends – these ladies have the pleasure to teaching teeny girls of their own. They are patient and kind. The love is obvious by the amount of photos and exhausted smiles. I don’t get to see these ladies enough, especially if I’m gonna be weird Auntie Etiquette!
- The Boss Lady – She needs me just as much as I need her. My creativity is complimented by her business savy. She helps me see the business-picture. Her support of me has been unwavering. Plus there are very few office jobs where people get the giggles on the regular.
There are of course so many more inspiring women in my life, but I don’t want to ruin the surprise that unforeseen appreciation brings. And that’s my plan! As for you if you’re not sure what to do, I have a few suggestions.
- Compliment a stranger on their choice of well, whatever you like about her
- Call that friend who you haven’t talked to since, who knows when
- Smile and say thank you for all the kindnesses we typically disregard – out loud, with eye contact
- Be a stong female example
So, this March 8, be good to all the special ladies in your life, and everyone else too, that’s just good manners. And maybe we should do that everyday, yeah, that’s a better plan- let’s do that.